Decisions, decisions...

Several of my children are at a crossroad. I can picture you looking to the left and right, measuring the distance of each path as well as it can be known, and puzzling over which path to take. I realized a few years ago that my parenting days were not over. It's still my duty to provide an assist without overstepping my boundaries. Several scripture stories about decision making immediately came to mind.

Q: Does the Lord mind if we ask Him a specific question?
A: No, not at all.  He stands at the door waiting to reveal His mind to us. Laman and Lemuel frequently used the excuses that the Lord made no such thing (fill-in-the-blanks) known unto us. While the ever faithful Nephi reminded them of the possibility of having certain knowledge.  "Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."

Q: Will the Lord give us specific answers?
A:  Yes. Nephi honored his father's priesthood and sought his advice after having broken his bow. We don't have a Liahona, but we do have the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The Liahona directed Nephi to hunt on the top of a mountain. Notice that Nephi had to ask, honor the priesthood, have a spirit willing to follow the Liahona, and the willing heart to walk up a mountain to search for food.

Q:  Does it irritate the Lord when we seek His wisdom?
A:  On the contrary. The Lord desires to share his knowledge with a willing seeker. James 1:5

Q:  What does the Lord expect us to bring to Him in our prayers for answers?
A:  Our own ideas. God has given us intelligence. He rewards our efforts to solve problems. The brother of Jared sought the Lord's instructions to build a barge, ventilate the barge, and provide light for the trip. In Ether 3: 3&4 the brother of Jared said, "O Lord, look upon me in pity, and turn away thine anger from this thy people, and suffer not that they shall go forth across this raging deep in darkness; but behold these things which I have molten out of the rock. And I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man; therefore touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth in darkness; and they shall shine forth unto us in the vessels which we have prepared, that we may have light while we shall cross the sea.

Q:  Is there a method to coming to a sure knowledge of things?
A:  Yes, Joseph Smith taught in the Doctrine and Covenants 9: 7-9, "Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me. But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right. But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me."

My thoughts:
The Lord cares about you. You were foreordained to come to this earth with a specific mission. Your greatest responsibility will be to your family. However, much is expected of you, the recipients of so many great gifts. The Lord will direct your paths if you ask for His guidance. I am confident that this is true. I love you, and long to be of help. Can you imagine how your perfect Father in Heaven longs to help you? So, take your ideas to the Lord and ask in faith, believing that he will answer.

I can't wait to see what adventures await each of you!

Love,
Mom

Comments

  1. wonderful. there isn't much to add except this: it's gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Turning 55

Reflections from this past week...