Holding on (sometimes clinging) to the Iron Rod



Mormons, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are well acquainted with a story from the Book of Mormon about holding onto an "Iron Rod" which represents the "word of God", meaning the scriptures. I think the point of holding onto the iron rod is also about clinging, yes sometimes clinging, to the faintest of hopes that things will improve.

A few years ago, I suffered such a devastating disappointment that I felt that I was actually broken. I was sitting alone at the breakfast table when a bird flew to a post on my deck & wobbled to a sitting position. I was thinking, "What's wrong with that bird?". I've never seen a bird wobble like that before. The bird stood to reposition himself on the post and I could see that he had only one leg. I sat there and wondered what had gotten a hold of that bird. Even so, he escaped without his leg & lived in spite of the trauma. I realized that even if I felt broken, I was still alive, & that I could muddle through until I could recover. I made a decision to "hold on". The visit of the bird was such an epiphany for me, that I don't think I will ever again question whether I can persevere.

More positively put, not only can I hold onto the iron rod, but I can look for joy in this life, look for meaning in the events of the day, seek after things that are lovely & of good report, and finally, recognize and be grateful for the tender mercies provided by the Lord. That visit from the bird was among the greatest of the tender mercies I've witnessed in my life.

So, I'm still holding on.

Comments

  1. that puts me in the mind of a song "Keep Holding On"
    Glee does a version of it too :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from this past week...

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Turning 55