A Tiger is Born

Women are amazing. My daughter Ann is amazing. After being in labor for over 12 hours, her water finally broke in the evening. We headed off to the hospital where she continued with labor from 8 pm to about 2 am in the morning when she finally asked for pain medication. They gave her an epidural that didn't take, and then they gave her another. Ann's and the baby's blood pressure dropped. They finally decide to induce her labor.  David and I stood by Ann's side and helped her push by supporting her legs. She pushed for several hours. The head was delivered but the shoulders were not. The doctor reached in and pulled Jonathan's shoulders with a twisting motion. Jonathan was born around 8 am the next day. His lip and eye were bruised, and his head was elongated from the struggle to be born. When his shoulders were delivered, we could see that the umbilical cord was wrapped tightly around his neck. The doctor slipped his fingers between Jonathan's neck and the cord and then cut the cord with scissors. His head and face were blue. They took Jonathan to the warming bed and sucked fluid from his nose and mouth. Minutes seemed like hours as we waited for the sound of a cry. David and I peered over the little bed as the nurses worked on him and rejoiced together when we finally heard a weak little cry as Jonathan rebounded. Jonathan earned an APGAR of 6, while my daughter earned a crown. She handled herself with dignity throughout what I would call an ordeal.  Jonathan earned the name Tiger because he was the toughest 6 pounder I've ever seen. What an amazing fighter. He struggled to be born, and yet he was. There must be a significant mission ahead for Ann, David and Tiger.

Tiger's birth has been tough to write about. I've put it off since June. I have to say that this event changed my life. Even though I've been through labor five times, I've never viewed a birth from the business end of things. Ann was so concerned about doing things well, being brave, and having a natural childbirth. Well she did a great job. I was filled with fear, anxiety, and finally joy.  I've never experienced a greater joy, maybe because I've never experienced a greater fear. I was afraid I would lose my daughter and my grandson in the same day. Yet God spared them both and there truly was joy in the morning. I will never be the same!


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from this past week...

Turning 55

Aging gracefully...not so much!