Turning 55











My 55th birthday was a quiet day. I picked up a letter from Miles at the post office. He had no way of knowing that earlier that morning I had been cleaning up in the kitchen and wondering if my children remembered me playing with them or reading to them.  In his letter he listed several memories of things from his childhood that brought him happiness. The gift of remembering is a great gift to a parent. Thank you Miles for the very sweet gift. I will always treasure the letter. I opened and read the letter while in the post office. I pondered how I might save it so that it will never be lost.  I need to work on how to save my most precious possessions. I'm still considering how this might be done, and I don't have the answer just yet.

I got phone calls from everyone. Ann and David are in Virginia, while John is in China. John & I "skyped" tonight. They are all happy and healthy. I thank God for the technology that makes it possible for families to stay close to each other.

Jimmy, Bradie & Ellie drove over from Athens. I enjoyed spending the afternoon with my son Jimmy and his beautiful family. Their new little daughter is due any time now.  We are all excited about the shiny new Penny (Penelope) that will be joining our family. We spent the afternoon shopping for Ellie's Christmas presents. We found a lovely wooden kitchen that will be perfect for our cook-in-training. As with all good cooks, they love great food.  Ellie really knows how to appreciate the good things in life. She started with a spoon, and then just used her fingers to capture every last piece of chocolate cake and ice cream.

The greatest gift of all is my family. I'm grateful for their love. They are my greatest joy. Thank you for a wonderful day. I love you to infinity and beyond!!!

Comments

  1. I have tiny chest that I keep precious things in. It's fun to look through from time to time. I'm glad you had a good day! We miss you all. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had such a great time. i'm pretty sure ellie had one of the best weeks of her little life and celebrating your birthday really was the icing on the cake (literally - ha!). we love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Reflections from this past week...