Sewing for Ellie


Twenty-two years ago I had a small sewing business called Paula's Pretty Things. Party, pageant, wedding, & bridesmaid dresses made up the bulk of my business, but I also made the model garments that hung in Hancock Fabrics in Athens, Georgia. A few years before that, I'd worked for an Asian tailor in Pacific Grove, California while John was stationed at the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio. She was quite a task-master who taught me precision. I spent so much time sewing, that it became a chore rather than a pleasure. Economic circumstances demanded that I set the sewing business aside to become a high school physics teacher. I seldom sewed after making that career move, except for my toughest customer, my daughter Lauren Ann. I call her a tough customer because it was tough to schedule a fitting with her. Lauren usually had several activities going on simultaneously. She is still like that!

Anyway, I've had this urge to sew again. I think this is because I want to sew for the people I love. My daughter-in-law, Bradie, has expressed the desire for a more up-to-date wardrobe, my daughter Lauren Ann is pregnant & needs matenity clothes, and my granddaughter, Ellie, is growing so fast that she needs a steady stream of clothing as well.

I bought a jumper pattern, 1-3/8 yards of red pinwale corduroy,








 and 3/4 yards of a sweet Christmas print and began to make Ellie a Christmas dress.  

I've been happy all morning. I took pictures of the progress with the intent of putting the photos on my blog.

While cooking dinner this evening I began to think about my paternal grandmother, Laura Brooks. She was a professional florist and an amazing seamstress. Her Singer sewing machine required her to swing her legs back-and-forth in order to sew. She could make clothing without a pattern. I don't know if that skill was had by most people her age, or whether she was unique in her talent / ability. In any case, she made dresses, skirts, pants, and blouses that were always a perfect fit. She sewed for me every summer. We would go to the fabric store, I'd select the fabric, and she would make the most fabulous outfits, limited only by our budget and imagination. I wonder if she took the same pleasure in making my clothes as I did in making Ellie's Christmas dress. I suppose that she did because I recall only love and patience from her. I look forward to many more sewing projects for Ellie and others. The joy of sewing comes from my love for my family, and the outlet for my creativity.

Comments

  1. it is a beautiful dress! i'm hoping to develop the talent of coming up with patterns out of my head. the internet is really helpful, too. i always find some inspiration that helps my ideas get off the ground.
    sewing for pleasure is the only way to sew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO beautiful!!
    I'm so excited to see what you'll make next!!
    sorry for being to tough, I dream of slowing down one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from 'the fowlers' blog. What a talent you have there! I love that cute little dress. I don't sew clothes but I do quilt. I'm just quilting away for some grandchildren to come my way...I have a ways to wait, none of my boys are even married yet!

    Good things come to those who wait...so I quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from this past week...

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Turning 55