Flowers I Really Saw for the First Time, From My Breakfast Table

by Paula Fowler, June 6th, 2010

I usually look out of my breakfast table window
while eating my honey bunches in solitude.
I've had visitors before, so I anticipate
who'll make an appearance at breakfast.

I've had visitors on my lowest of low days
when my heart was utterly broken.
My guest, a bird with one missing leg
that proved even broken things could carry on.

This morning's guest, grace and charm,
called my name through my window,
and told me to look a little closer
at its blossoms and leaves.

I learned of its red rimmed and
heart-shaped jagged leaves
surrounding winged petals so intensely red
as to be judged impossible to be real.

Eyelash fringes along the folded petals
suggest a sense of touch.
Perhaps it does, as it pulls me closer
to examine and to love it for the first time.

Comments

  1. wow mom, you have been waxing quite poetic since I've left!! I love that you've really taken to writing- I still have the honeysuckle poem you wrote two? years ago! Any who, today I started my first group lessons at W&L, we have an hour in between two morning lessons and they opened an office so that I could pass the time. The lesson went great and by the end of the week I might have some pictures to post on the blog. I love you, and hope you continue to have a lovely and poetic morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. matt looks like he is sleeping and i look like i am trying not to laugh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from this past week...

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Turning 55