The Man Who Gave Me the Sun, Moon and Stars by Paula Fowler




This is a poem I've written about my father, who actually did give me the sun, the moon, and the stars. Happy Father's day!




When I was just a wee, small girl,
Just less than three feet tall
My father said, “Jump in and swim,
and we will have a ball”.

Said I, “I’m way too small
for such a big, big pool.
Then said he, “Just jump to me,
and I will catch your fall”.

Jump in, I DID! I closed my eyes,
and jumped with outstretched arms.
A promise kept, he caught my fall,
by water, I was charmed.

Said he, “Your such a big brave girl,
It’s time you learned to dive”!
“Just curl your toes around the board
and fall right off the side”.

Dive in, I DID! I curled my toes,
and leaned over at the waist,
I held my breath, pushed off the board,
and learned that I could fly.

When I was a wee bit older,
Just almost four feet tall,
Dad said, “It’s time to ride your bike
with just two wheels, that’s ALL”!

Said I, “I’m way too small for
such a big, big bike”!
Said he, “Just look ahead and pedal hard,
while I hold up your bike”.

Pedal hard, I DID, and looked ahead
Down the sidewalk, I did go,
He ran beside me until I said,
"OK, you can let go".

With bright blue bike and tiny dog,
each day a new adventure,
We went up and down the streets of town
with my friend and her little sister.

With freedom found, I explored my town,
Past the light to the library.
Displays of maps and arrowheads
and all the books that I could carry.

When I was a little bit older,
just under five feet tall.
My teacher said “It’s time to learn
Of the world beyond these walls".

I went and asked my father,
How to learn of a world SO large,
Said he, “What would you like to know
of the world beyond these walls”?

“I want to know about the moon
and what causes it to glow,
the paths of all the planets
and what causes them to go”.

“I want to know where stars come from,
Their names, and why they shine…
and why the Sun warms up the day and
and leaves the night to pine”.

“OK”, he said, “My daughter dear,
if it’s planets of which you dream,
together we’ll bring the heavens near
and hang them from a beam.

With paper mache’ planets, moon and sun,
Suspended from a basketball goal,
Christmas light stars to light the night,
We built them everyone.

To the father that taught me
I could never fail, unless I failed to try,
When in need, I just outstretched my hand and
and knew that he stood by.

Along with his gift of the sun and the moon,
came the courage to follow my star.
These gifts from my Earthly father,
Gives me trust in my Father afar.

Comments

  1. you do have an exceptionally wonderful father. we're so glad he's a part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from this past week...

Aging gracefully...not so much!

Turning 55